Thrilling Potomac and Shenandoah River Kayaking
This half day trip follows the same course as the Whitewater Rafting trip and is the perfect option for guests in good physical condition, looking for a more challenging adventure. You will explore Class I-III (sometimes I-II+) rapids on this 7-mile stretch of the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers.
Kayak the river in a Duckie
Don’t be fooled by the funny name! The Duckie is a sit-on-top, inflatable kayak. The trip begins with a short flat water section on the Shenandoah River where you can practice paddling and steering in flat water before reaching the rapids. Guides will be available for questions, basic paddling tips and river safety orientation.
Whitewater Kayak Trip Rates
Or call to book
(suitable for Kids ages 12-17.)
Additional Fees: 6% Sales Tax, $2 Service Fee per person, DNR Fee $2 and Riverkeepers Cleanup Fee $1.
At the end of your kayak journey, ride in style and comfort with an ATV ride back to the top from our exclusive private take-out. If you prefer to enjoy a walk after your trip – no problem at all, and you will enjoy more of the gorgeous views and scenic atmosphere.
- Trips are scheduled daily March-October and follow the same course as our whitewater rafting trip.
- All trips include: the Duckie, a guide in a kayak or guides assisting via raft(s), PFD (Personal Flotation Device), helmet, paddle, beverage during the trip, and shuttle to and from the river.
- No previous experience is necessary.
- Duckies seat one person per craft.
- Children must be at least 10 years old and be accompanied by an adult. Age requirements may vary due to river conditions.
- YOU WILL GET WET, so dress appropriately.
- Reservations are required.
- Any person participating in an activity with Harpers Ferry Adventure Center must complete a Liability Waiver.
- ALL PARTICIPANTS UNDER THE AGE OF 18 MUST HAVE A LIABILITY WAIVER COMPLETED BY PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN.
Other trip times may be available. Please call us at (540) 668-9007 for more information.
History, Heritage, and Wildlife
You might see blue herons, ospreys, and maybe even a bald eagle! You’ll get to brave the drop at Bull Falls and navigate the twists and turns of Lunch Rock Follies and the moody current of Mad Dog.
As you continue downstream you’ll encounter Bull’s Tail, the Shenandoah’s mile-long Staircase, Mad Dog, White Horse, Hesitation Ledge, Roller Coaster, and more!
you’ll encounter Bull’s Tail, the Shenandoah’s mile-long Staircase, Mad Dog, White Horse, Hesitation Ledge, Roller Coaster, and more!
You’ll float right by the Harpers Ferry National Historical Park and experience the view Thomas Jefferson claimed was “worth a trip across the Atlantic” as you meet the mighty Potomac at the world-renowned gap between Bolivar (WV), Maryland Heights (MD), and Loudoun Heights (VA).
Harpers Ferry Adventure Center wants to ensure you have a quality trip. We run our whitewater trips when water levels are above 2 feet and below 10 feet on the Shenandoah River. If we feel the water is too low, we will recommend a different activity or alternate route. If water levels are too high, we postpone trips for your safety.
We are not pet friendly at this time except for service animals which must have proper identification.